Betting on sports is now fully legal in PA. Since 2019, the state has allowed all forms of sports betting, including retail and online. Bettors in the state can now sign up to bet at online sportsbooks, which offer a wide range of sports and markets to choose from. Since sports betting was legalized, thousands of people have begun placing bets on sports such as football, basketball, soccer, and more.
Pennsylvania Legal Sports Betting Timeline
- 2004 – The state passed the Pennsylvania Racehorse Development and Gaming Act, which created the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board while also legalizing horse race betting and casinos.
- 2017 – The House passed an online gambling bill in October 2017, which was then signed by Governor Tom Wolf. This would later allow the state to establish a regulated online sports betting market.
- 2018 – In the US, betting on sports had been controlled by the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992. After years of debate, this act was eventually struck down in 2018, meaning states gained full rights over whether or not they could legalize sports betting.
- 2019 – The first online sportsbooks were able to launch in Pennsylvania in 2019, and it wasn’t long before bettors could choose from a long list of available sites.
Online Sports Betting in Pennsylvania
Online sportsbooks have been operating in Pennsylvania since 2019, meaning anyone in the state who’s at least twenty-one years old has been able to sign up, deposit, and bet on sports. Many of these sites also offer casino gaming as well, since Pennsylvania allows all forms of online gambling. The BetMGM Pennsylvania casino is a good example, as it offers both casino games and sports. Users can create an account and use their funds for both sports betting and gambling on casino games such as slots, poker, and blackjack.
There are a lot of sites to choose from, but users must make sure the sportsbook is licensed by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board before they play. Only sites with a license from this gambling commission are safe and legal. You’ll need to choose a site that has good reviews and offers a good selection of the type of sports you prefer to bet on.
When choosing a sportsbook, you should also consider the bonus it offers. Most sports betting sites and online casinos provide bonuses to new users, encouraging them to sign up and play. These can vary from free bets to matched deposit bonuses. Make sure you check the terms and conditions before you claim any offer.
How to Bet on Sports in Pennsylvania
Once you’ve chosen an online sportsbook, you’ll be ready to start betting. All you have to do is follow these steps:
- Make your first deposit – If you want to bet, you’re going to need to fund your account with real money. Only ever deposit what you can afford to lose and set deposit limits if you need to control how much you spend. Most sites will let you choose which payment method you use to deposit, with PayPal being one of the most popular options.
- Choose your event – Pick an event in a sport that you follow and choose which option you want to bet on. This will add it to your betslip, where you can change your stake. It’s best to choose a sport you follow closely, as this will give you the best chance of success. Make sure you also consider the odds and whether it’s worth betting on. Even if you think an event is very likely, low odds usually aren’t worth the risk.